I think this is the best time for me to do The Laundry Alternative Wonderwash review after using it for 18 months.
I wanted to make sure that I used this manual washer long enough to give a fair review of its pros and cons.
So if you are on the fence if Wonderwash is the right manual washing machine for your needs, here’s my experience after using it for more than a year.
— This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated if you make a purchase through one of the links, at no additional cost to you. Please see full disclosure for more information. —
What Is Wonderwash?
Wonderwash is a manual washer that doesn’t need electricity to operate. It is a trademark product made by The Laundry Alternative, a company specialized in laundry products.
It is made to be used in apartments, campers as well as in other portable washing needs.
How Does The Wonderwash Work?
Just fill the drum with soap, water and your clothes. Put the lid and lock it. Once locked, the lid creates an internal pressure especially if the water is hot. This helps reinforce detergent particles into the fabric for cleaning. Use the handle to spin the drum for 1-2 minutes. Then attach the draining tube at the bottom of the drum to drain water and rinse.
Wonderwash Washing Capacity and Dimension
According to the manual, the dimension is 12″ x 12″ x 16″. Washing capacity depends on the type of clothes being washed. It can be 10 t-shirts or 2 pairs of jeans.
The Laundry Alternative Wonderwash Review – Pros and Cons
So here’s my Wonderwash review after using it every week for 18 months.
- It’s affordable. It doesn’t cost more than $100 unlike other manual washers in the market. I didn’t use the laundromat the whole summer season so I quickly recovered the money I spent on Wonderwash by not buying laundry tokens during that period. I bought it for $60 but sometimes they put it on sale in Amazon so always check the price:
- It’s durable. When assembling it, I thought the base is flimsy and the drum will give up quickly when overloaded. But boy I was wrong! I overloaded it many times with heavy fabrics like towels and jeans but it still works perfectly.
- It cleans well. Whenever I use it, I always feel amazed with how dark the water is afterwards. I can really see that my clothes have been agitated very well with manual spinning. My clothes smell more fresh and feel cleaner whenever I wash them manually with this.
- It takes time and effort. Using a manual washer is not like in a laundromat where you just load your clothes and wait. It takes time and effort to manually spin your clothes and rinse them afterwards.
- The suction pads at the base of the washer are annoying. They are really good at suctioning that it becomes very hard to remove them after finishing the laundry. Sometimes when I force them to be removed the base parts get detached but they are fairly easy to reconnect again.
I had my own solution to tackle the annoying suction pad problem. Most of the time I use Wonderwash in my bathtub and I just put a sheet of plastic underneath it. After washing, I just pull the sheet upwards and the suction pads are easy to remove afterwards.
Why a Manual Washer is Useful For Me
For months, I wanted an alternative to a washing machine because:
- I live in an apartment. Our apartment building has a laundromat downstairs. Sometimes, I don’t feel comfortable washing my delicate clothes in a washer used by a lot of people. Especially my undergarments! I always wash them manually.
- I spend a lot in laundromat tokens. When I decided to cut down expenses to maximize my debt payments, that meant doing the laundry wisely. I planned to manually wash my light clothes and just deal with the big ones in the laundromat.
- I became more environmentally conscious. I realized that using a manual washer will save water and electricity consumption.
- Using a manual washing machine is also a good form of exercise for me. I try to squeeze indirect ways to workout while doing my chores.
Would I Recommend It?
Overall, I would recommend Wonderwash for light washing needs. It’s also useful if you want to cut expenses in using electric washing machines.
I will still continue using it while I’m still paying my debts since I’m saving money from it. However, when I lack free time I might consider having a few trips to the laundromat.
Other Portable Manual Washers: